From: P Ramakrishnan <>
Date: 27 April 2015 2:23:28 AEST
Subject: R.I.P. MICHAEL SHUM YEW KWONG Kirkby 1959-1960 – 26-4-2015
Reply-To: P Ramakrishnan <>

R.I.P. MICHAEL SHUM YEW KWONG Kirkby 1959-1960 – 26-4-2015

I am very sorry to announce the passing of Michael Shum today.  Michael was from my batch of Kirkbyites. He was in the neighbouring Block 9. His option in college was Woodwork.

He was a firm friend of Sukdev Singh, Ahmad Omar and the late Nagarajah.


In 1963 when I was following a course in STTI together with the late Seripala, Michael brought MR Walker to visit us. Later we all went for a Chinese dinner and after that took a photograph.

That was the first time I met Michael.


Michael attended the 2004 Penang Kirkby Reunion held in the Gurney Hotel, Penang. He, Ahmad Omar and Chelvarajah travelled together in Shanmuganathan’s car. All of them put up in the family room.

That was the last time I met Michael.


According to Johnny Khoo, upon their return from Kirkby, the late John Fernandez, Michael and Johnny were posted to the La Salle School in Sentul, KL.

Michael resigned from government service and went into the private sector.

He taught in the Raffles City School Commerce in Singapore for five years; then he was with the Stamford College KL for 13 years; then he was with the Olympia College for 7 years. Then he went to China in2000 and taught at the International Tertiary Education Institute, Senu Universiti Town, Guang zhou until the end of 2014. He returned to Malaysia last year.

On 17-2-2013 he emailed me informing me that Azhar had passed on the first day of Chinese New Year and that he attended the funeral.

On 14-4-2013 he emailed me his new address and mobile number informing me that he won’t be able to attend the 2014 Penang Kirkby Reunion as he was expecting some friends from China during that period. He also attached a photograph of him together with Tun Mahathir.


On 15-11-2014 he emailed me stating that he will pray for Poh Yuk’s successful heart surgery.

On 16-11-2015 he emailed rejoicing at Poh Yuk’s successful surgery and wishing her speedy recovery.


That was my last communication from Michael.


I had no idea that he was not well. According to his friend Mary, he was taken ill seriously on 29-12-2014 and was rushed to the hospital. He was cared for by the Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (HUKM). He was there for about 40 days.

Much later he got himself admitted into the Tung Shin Hospital where he passed away today at about 9.40 in the morning.

Apparently he was suffering from TB which had spread into his intestines causing multiple problems.


He leaves behind his wife Joyce to mourn his death. They have no children.


The wake will be held at the Association of Kwong Tong Cemetery Management Kuala Lumpur, 18 Jalan Dewan Bahasa, 50460 Kuala Lumpur, Room B.

Funeral is on Thursday.


The Obituary will appear in the Star either on Tuesday or Wednesday.

His wife can be contacted at 017-5476 989.


Email can also be sent to Mary will pass on the message to Michael's wife. This may be a better choice.

His address: 267-0-5 Casaria Apt, Jalan Jejaka, Tmn Maluri, Cheras, 55100 Kuala Lumpur.


In sorrow,